Auger Boring Is Ideal For A Wide Range Of Soil Conditions
Auger boring is a trenchless technology method used to install steel casing pipe in a variety of soil conditions. These conditions can range from dry sand to clay or soft rock. With the proper cutting head, auger boring can be used for solid rock formations.
The auger boring process, as with all trenchless drilling, reduces the likelihood of ground settlement because the steel casing pipe is inserted into the hole as it is excavated. This makes auger boring useful for installing utilities under railroad tracks, roads and levies where settlement is a concern.
The Advantages of Auger Boring
- Used in a variety of soil conditions where minimal settlement is critical
- Can be used for pipes from 12 inches to 48 inches
- The pipe supports the ground around the excavation during the boring process
- Spoils are removed by the continuous auger action back to the work pit
- Auger boring is a dry method, producing no slurry
- Goes under surface obstructions such as buildings, roads and railroads
- The work area is confined to the starting and ending pits
- Auger boring is a quick method and in many cases has lower overall costs
Wide Range Of Applications
Auger boring is typically used to create crossings for water, sewage, oil, gas, electricity, chemicals, communication ducts and outfalls. Typical auger boring projects are from 30 feet to 300 feet, but the distance can be greater. The longest auger boring project on record was over 800 feet in length.
Typical casing pipe for auger boring is made of steel to stand up to the rotating auger. The carrier pipe installed inside the casing can be any material suitable for the product going through the pipe.
J & J Boring, Inc.
Since 1983, J & J Boring, Inc. has delivered quality service in trenchless technologies. We have completed every project we have started – on time, safely and accurately. Each project is unique and our attention to detail ensures a safe and accurate boring procedure, even in challenging soil conditions.
If you have a project which requires trenchless technology to install piping under existing structures, contact us for a quote at 636-566-6766. We will assess your project’s requirements and provide you with the most cost effective plan to complete your project.